Wednesday, June 9, 2010

OLD MAN AND THE POPE?

After a year and half, an appropriate amount of time given the age group I have been working with, I have changed jobs.

My friend Mike said that God dropped a helicopter in my front yard and I better get on it. I have. Today was the first day on the job as sacristan/sacramental assistant at our parish. Our current sacristan had resigned and the deacon asked my wife if I might be interested. The helicopter landed in the front yard and I got on.

No diapers to change, not one whine or the cheese to go with it, and a new commute to work (five minutes one way).

The pay is better than the daycare job. It would take me another two years working with the toddlers to get to the pay of the new job.

I will miss the kids but I was ready for a change. There is no way I will be greeted at church in the morning like I was at daycare. “Mr. Tom’s here!” Lots of hugs then, “Read a book!” and “Sit down! Sit Down!” and “Row, Row?”, all followed by more hugs. Just won’t happen with a bunch of adults. That experience with the kids will be hard to match.

That’s okay, though. On my way into the church office I met two of the parishioners who frequent daily Mass. Both of them said hello and then congratulated me on my new job. Just about as good as all the hugs from the little ones.

All I have to do now is live up to the expectations that people have of me in this new setting.

I have gone from taking care of babies to taking care of God’s flock and their churchgoing. This means I should change the title of my blog. My daughter came up with the original title and with the definitive replacement. Instead of “Old Man and the Poop” it should be called “Old Man and the Pope”. I don’t know what Benedict XVI thinks of the title but I like it.

1 comment:

  1. When the helicopter lands in the front yard, get on? Where did this come from? I mean, besides Mike.

    ReplyDelete