Monday, November 23, 2009

SAINTS BE PRAISED!

On November 5, 2009, Sister Fidelis Kreutzer, SSMO, passed from this world. This grand lady was my wife's aunt. I have known Sister Fidelis since my wife and I were first married. While 'Sister' is her formal title, my wife called Sister Fidelis 'Auntie Fid', a name I took to using as well when speaking with her.

The passing of Auntie Fid was a sadness for her family and friends. But we all rejoice knowing she is in God's loving embrace. It should be noted that one sector of the American economy will suffer terribly because of Auntie Fid's going home to God. The Wrigley Chewing Gum Company has lost its best customer.

Over the years, thousands of children, young and old, have come to know Sister through the endless supply of gum that she carried in her pockets. It was through that simple gesture of a pack of gum being placed in our hands that many of us were reminded of God's unconditional love.

My two youngest nieces, when they first met Sister, pointed at Sister Fidelis and asked their aunt, "Who is that?" Sister quickly responded with, "God."

Auntie Fid was right. Through her so many of us met God face to face when she gave us some gum and said, "Bless your heart!" We were blessed indeed!

1 comment:

  1. I never met Sister Fid, but I pray to her regularly! She seems to know how to cut to the chase. And maybe she'll be able to help the Cubs, who are still playing in Wrigley Field!

    ReplyDelete