Sunday, October 11, 2009

MONKEY SEE, MONKEY DO! Part II

I root for the University of Oregon Ducks. My reasons for doing so are plentiful. My daughter is a Duck. Three of her uncles are Ducks, as are three first-cousins, several first-cousins once removed and her great-grandfather. There are some Oregon State Beavers in the family and come football season we have great fun cheering on our respective schools.

This carries over into my work. The boss is a Beaver Believer. She hired me even though on the day of my interview I was wearing my Duck hat and Duck Dad t-shirt.

I do not miss an opportunity to have the toddler kids yell out, “Go Ducks!” when the boss is in the room. She plays along with the kids and responds with a “Go Beavs!” and then gives me a look that lets me know she is on to my tricks.

My monkey see monkey do kid joins right in with the “Go Ducks!” even though he has no idea what the fun is all about.

Or maybe he does. The other day the cheering started for the boss’ benefit. The young man joined in and proceeded to use a plastic carrot he was holding as a club. He was hitting another child on the head while he was chanting “Go Ducks!” over and over.

None of the other kids were hitting anybody as they chanted so I wondered where my monkey see monkey do kid got the idea to hit somebody on the head. Then I remembered the Boise State game in September. The power of television…

No comments:

Post a Comment